- •Type of Research: Human study
- •Key Findings: High levels of change in anandamide across supervised exercise therapy (SET) were associated with a worse response to SET when observing differences in pre- and post-SET baseline metabolomics. Large changes arachidonic acid and decreased levels of arachidonic acid precursor dihomo-γ-linolenic acid across SET were associated with a worse response to SET when observing the difference (pre- and post-SET) of the dynamic (pre- and post-treadmill) metabolite changes.
- •Take Home Message: Changes in circulating metabolite patterns associate with individual response to SET. SET may help to train patients withstand higher levels of inflammatory signaling and permit them to walk for longer periods of time.
- Gelin J.
- Jivegard L.
- Taft C.
- Karlsson J.
- Sullivan M.
- Dahllof A.G.
- et al.
- Greenhalgh R.M.
- Belch J.J.
- Brown L.C.
- Gaines P.A.
- Gao L.
- Reise J.A.
- et al.
The adjuvant benefit of angioplasty in patients with mild to moderate intermittent claudication (MIMIC) managed by supervised exercise, smoking cessation advice and best medical therapy: results from two randomised trials for stenotic femoropopliteal and.
- Murphy T.P.
- Cutlip D.E.
- Regensteiner J.G.
- Mohler E.R.
- Cohen D.J.
- Reynolds M.R.
- et al.
- Gerhard-Herman M.D.
- Gornik H.L.
- Barrett C.
- Barshes N.R.
- Corriere M.A.
- Drachman D.E.
- et al.
Metabolomic and lipidomic analyses
Trial design, demographic characteristics, and response to SET
|Overall (n = 40)|
|Age, years||65.0 [60.8, 69.3]|
|Recently quit (<3 mo)||6 (15.0)|
|Pretraining ABI||0.690 [0.605-0.763]|
|Post-training ABI||0.750 [0.640-0.870]|
|Pretraining PWT, minutes||8.22 [4.81-11.7]|
|Post-training PWT, minutes||14.1 [9.20-19.2]|
|Change in PWT, minutes||4.95 [1.18-9.47]|
Baseline and dynamic metabolite levels measured before SET associate with interindividual response to SET
Changes in metabolite levels that occur over the course of SET associate with individual response to SET
|Dataset||Metabolite||Model||Outcome||Direction of association|
|Lipid mediators||AA||Draw 1||PWT||–|
|Lipid mediators||AEA||Draw 1||PWT||–|
|Lipid mediators||N-oleoylethanolamide||Draw 1||PWT||–|
|Lipid mediators||Adrenoyl-ethanolamide||Draw 3 – draw 1||Individual response to SET||–|
|Lipid mediators||AA||Draw 3 – draw 1||Individual response to SET||+|
|Lipid mediators||AEA||(Draw 4 – draw 3) – (draw 2 – draw 1)||Individual response to SET||–|
|Lipid mediators||AA||(Draw 4 – draw 3) – (draw 2 – draw 1)||Individual response to SET||+|
AEA changes are associated with exercise tolerance
AA and chronic inflammation
- Bellomo et al. PAD Metabolomics.xlsx
- Supplemental Figures 2
- Supplemental Methods
- Comparison of global estimates of prevalence and risk factors for peripheral artery disease in 2000 and 2010: a systematic review and analysis.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1329-1340
- Medical treatment of peripheral arterial disease and claudication.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 1608-1621
- Exercise training for claudication.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1941-1951
- Physical performance in peripheral arterial disease: a slower rate of decline in patients who walk more.Ann Intern Med. 2006; 144: 10-20
- Peripheral artery disease: evolving role of exercise, medical therapy, and endovascular options.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 67: 1338-1357
- Supervised exercise, stent revascularization, or medical therapy for claudication due to aortoiliac peripheral artery disease: the CLEVER study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015; 65: 999-1009
- 2016 AHA/ACC guideline on the management of patients with lower extremity peripheral artery disease: executive summary.Vasc Med. 2017; 22: NP1-NP43
- Management of risk in peripheral artery disease: recent therapeutic advances.Am Heart J. 2005; 150: 35-40
- Effect of daily muscular exercise in patients with intermittent claudication.Lancet. 1966; 2: 1093-1096
- Is percutaneous transluminal angioplasty better than exercise for claudication? Preliminary results from a prospective randomised trial.Eur J Vasc Surg. 1990; 4: 135-140
- Endovascular revascularization and supervised exercise for peripheral artery disease and intermittent claudication: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2015; 314: 1936-1944
- Treatment efficacy of intermittent claudication by surgical intervention, supervised physical exercise training compared to no treatment in unselected randomised patients I: one year results of functional and physiological improvements.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2001; 22: 107-113
- The adjuvant benefit of angioplasty in patients with mild to moderate intermittent claudication (MIMIC) managed by supervised exercise, smoking cessation advice and best medical therapy: results from two randomised trials for stenotic femoropopliteal and.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2008; 36: 680-688
- Intermittent claudication--surgical reconstruction or physical training? A prospective randomized trial of treatment efficiency.Ann Surg. 1989; 209: 346-355
- Early outcomes from a randomized, controlled trial of supervised exercise, angioplasty, and combined therapy in intermittent claudication.Ann Vasc Surg. 2010; 24: 69-79
- Randomized clinical trial of percutaneous transluminal angioplasty, supervised exercise and combined treatment for intermittent claudication due to femoropopliteal arterial disease.Br J Surg. 2012; 99: 39-48
- Investigators, C. S. Supervised exercise versus primary stenting for claudication resulting from aortoiliac peripheral artery disease: six-month outcomes from the claudication: exercise versus endoluminal revascularization (CLEVER) study.Circulation. 2012; 125: 130-139
- Exercise training versus angioplasty for stable claudication. Long and medium term results of a prospective, randomised trial.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 1996; 11: 409-413
- Invasive treatment of claudication is indicated for patients unable to adequately ambulate during cardiac rehabilitation.J Vasc Surg. 2009; 49 (discussion 1225): 1217-1225
- Patient characteristics and comorbidities influence walking distances in symptomatic peripheral arterial disease: a large one-year physiotherapy cohort study.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0146828
- Reporting standards of the Society for Vascular Surgery for endovascular treatment of chronic lower extremity peripheral artery disease.J Vasc Surg. 2016; 64: e1-e21
- Quality assessment of peripheral artery disease clinical guidelines.J Vasc Surg. 2016; 63: 1091-1098
- Lower extremity manifestations of peripheral artery disease: the pathophysiologic and functional implications of leg ischemia.Circ Res. 2015; 116: 1540-1550
- Effects of exercise rehabilitation on endothelial reactivity in older patients with peripheral arterial disease.Am J Cardiol. 2001; 87: 324-329
- Intermittent claudication, exercise, and blood rheology.Circulation. 1987; 76: 1110-1114
- Exercise-induced angiogenesis-related growth and transcription factors in skeletal muscle, and their modification in muscle pathology.Front Biosci. 2001; 6: D75-D89
- A review of the potential local mechanisms by which exercise improves functional outcomes in intermittent claudication.Ann Vasc Surg. 2016; 30: 312-320
- Effect of exercise training on skeletal muscle histology and metabolism in peripheral arterial disease.J Appl Physiol (1985). 1996; 81: 780-788
- Exercise training for management of peripheral arterial disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Sports Med. 2015; 45: 231-244
- The evidence for exercise-induced inflammation in intermittent claudication: should we encourage patients to stop walking?.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 1998; 15: 7-17
- Serum metabolic signatures of chronic limb-threatening ischemia in patients with peripheral artery disease.J Clin Med. 2020; 9: 1877
- Metabolomic signature of arterial stiffness in male patients with peripheral arterial disease.Hypertens Res. 2015; 38: 840-846
- Effects of exercise training on calf muscle oxygen extraction and blood flow in patients with peripheral artery disease.J Appl Physiol. 2017; 123: 1599-1609
- 2016 AHA/ACC guideline on the management of patients with lower extremity peripheral artery disease: a report of the American college of cardiology/American heart association task Force on clinical practice guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: e71-e126
- Progressive vs single-stage treadmill tests for evaluation of claudication.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1991; 23: 402-408
- Metabolomics by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry: the combination of targeted and untargeted profiling.Curr Protoc Mol Biol. 2016; 114: 30.4.1
- Data independent MS/MS deconvolution for comprehensive metabolome analysis.Nat Methods. 2015; 12: 523
- Validating quantitative untargeted lipidomics across nine Liquid chromatography-high-resolution mass spectrometry platforms.Anal Chem. 2017; 89: 12360-12368
- Plasma and serum oxylipin, endocannabinoid, bile acid, steroid, fatty acid and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug quantification in a 96-well plate format.Anal Chim Acta. 2021; 1143: 189-200
- RefMet: a reference nomenclature for metabolomics.Nat Methods. 2020; 17: 1173-1174
- Predicting nanotoxicity by an integrated machine learning and metabolomics approach.Environ Pollut. 2020; 267: 115434
- Multiple criteria for evaluating machine learning algorithms for land cover classification from satellite data.Remote Sens Environ. 2000; 74: 503-515
- Combining machine learning and metabolomics to identify weight gain biomarkers.Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2020; 8: 6
- Pulse sequence programming in a dynamic visual environment: SequenceTree.Magn Reson Med. 2016; 75: 257-265
- Exercise-induced endocannabinoid signaling is modulated by intensity.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2013; 113: 869-875
- Skeletal muscle interstitial fluid metabolomics at rest and associated with an exercise bout: application in rats and humans.Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2019; 316: E43-E53
- Characterization of the human skeletal muscle metabolome for elucidating the mechanisms of bicarbonate ingestion on strenuous interval exercise.Anal Chem. 2019; 91: 4709-4718
- Exercise plasma metabolomics and xenometabolomics in obese, sedentary, insulin-resistant women: impact of a fitness and weight loss intervention.Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2019; 317: E999-E1014
- Isolation and structure of a brain constituent that binds to the cannabinoid receptor.Science (1979). 1992; 258: 1946-1949
- The role of the endocannabinoid system in skeletal muscle and metabolic adaptations to exercise: potential implications for the treatment of obesity.Obes Rev. 2012; 13: 1110-1124
- Effects of cannabinoid receptors on skeletal muscle oxidative pathways.Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2007; 267: 63-69
- The endocannabinoid 2-AG controls skeletal muscle cell differentiation via CB1 receptor-dependent inhibition of Kv7 channels.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014; 111
- The endocannabinoid system and plant-derived cannabinoids in diabetes and diabetic complications.Am J Pathol. 2012; 180: 432-442
- Endocannabinoids and exercise.Br J Sports Med. 2004; 38: 536-541
- Intense exercise increases circulating endocannabinoid and BDNF levels in humans-Possible implications for reward and depression.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2012; 37: 844-851
- An analysis of endocannabinoid concentrations and mood Following singing and exercise in healthy volunteers.Front Behav Neurosci. 2018; 12: 269
- Peripheral endocannabinoids regulate skeletal muscle development and maintenance.Eur J Transl Myol. 2010; 20: 167
- Chronic endocannabinoid system stimulation induces muscle macrophage and lipid accumulation in Type 2 diabetic mice independently of metabolic endotoxaemia.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e55963
- Effects of the cannabinoid CB1 receptor antagonist SR141716 on oxygen consumption and soleus muscle glucose uptake in Lepob/Lep ob mice.Int J Obes. 2005; 29: 183-187
- Endocannabinoids in adipocytes during differentiation and their role in glucose uptake.Cell Mol Life Sci. 2007; 64: 219-229
- Lipid myopathies.J Clin Med. 2018; 7: 472
- Acquired skeletal muscle metabolic myopathy in atherosclerotic peripheral arterial disease.Vasc Med. 2000; 5: 55-59
- The discovery and early structural studies of arachidonic acid.J Lipid Res. 2016; 57: 1126-1132
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids augment the muscle protein anabolic response to hyperinsulinaemia-hyperaminoacidaemia in healthy young and middle-aged men and women.Clin Sci. 2011; 121: 267-278
- The eicosapentaenoic acid:arachidonic acid ratio and its clinical utility in cardiovascular disease.Postgrad Med. 2019; 131: 268-277
- Inflammation and its resolution in atherosclerosis: mediators and therapeutic opportunities.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2019; 16: 389-406
- Soluble epoxide hydrolase as a therapeutic target for cardiovascular diseases.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2009; 8: 794-805
- Arachidonic acid metabolites in cardiovascular and metabolic diseases.Int J Mol Sci. 2018; 19: 3285
- Inflammation in peripheral artery disease.Circulation. 2010; 122: 1862-1875
- Inflammation and peripheral arterial disease: the value of circulating biomarkers (Review).Int J Mol Med. 2014; 33: 777-783
- Markers of vascular inflammation are associated with the extent of atherosclerosis assessed as angiographic score and treadmill walking distances in patients with peripheral arterial occlusive disease.Vasc Med. 2006; 11: 21-28
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Supported by funding from: the Department of Veterans Affairs awards IK2-CX001780 (S.M.D.); the National Institutes of Health ( R01 HL075649-09 ); and a Pilot and Feasibility project award (S.M.D) from the NIH West Coast Metabolomics Center (O.F.). Additional support was provided by USDA Project 2032-51530-025-00D (J.W.N).Author conflict of interest: S.M.D. receives research support to his institution from CytoVAS and RenalytixA. All other authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
The editors and reviewers of this article have no relevant financial relationships to disclose per the JVS-Vascular Science policy that requires reviewers to decline review of any manuscript for which they may have a conflict of interest.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy